2-Bin Recycling (Cardboard/Boxboard, Paper, Plastic, Aluminum/Tin, Non-HI-5 Glass, Plastic Bags)
It’s simple, everyone can do it!
|The Mixed container is for paper, cardboard,
metal and plastics #1, #2, #5. Details »
|The Glass container is for glass only.
No HI-5 containers. Details
Place extra containers around your house for Mixed items and one for Glass in the kitchen.
Residents are allowed to use the 2-Bin recycling bins at County Recycling and Transfer Stations. These stations are closed for Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's Day and are open according to the schedule on our Facilities page.
Businesses are not allowed to use the 2-Bin system. Please contact one of the following local recycling companies to find out what materials they accept for commercial recycling.
- Atlas Recycling Centers LLC, 935-9328 (pays for newspaper & cardboard)
- Business Services Hawaii, 966-7489
- Mr. K's Recycle & Redemption, 969-1222 (pays for plastics)
- Eco-Trash, 443-6236
FOLLOW THE RULES
Recycling works when you follow the rules about what can and cannot be placed in the bins. If the wrong materials are placed inside, the entire contents of the bin may end up in the landfill instead of recycled. We appreciate your support in following the rules.
Do NOT place the following in the 2-Bin system:
- Materials or containers that are dirty, have food residue or oil on them, or have not been rinsed.
- HI-5 beverage containers, instead take them to a HI-5 redemption center.
- Plastic containers or plastic lids unless they are stamped with a #1, #2 or #5 inside a triangle made of arrows. These symbols indicate the type of plastic and are usually on the bottom of the container.
- Styrofoam® (a.k.a. Expanded Polystyrene)
- Wax coated containers or wax paper, metallic or metal foil coated papers (i.e. juice foil bags, milk/juice cartons, soup foil-pack cartons or microwaveable foil-lined bags for crisping food)
- Window glass panes, mirrors and windshields. Fluorescent bulbs are not acceptable. Other lighting fixtures.
- empty or filled spray cans (aerosol cleaners, poisons, paints and etc.)
- Do not fill plastic bags with recyclable materials and put the whole bag in the bin. Instead empty the contents of the bag in the bin and see the Mixed list below about how to recycle plastic bags.
All items placed in the 2-Bin system must be rinsed clean and labels do not have to be removed.
Paper of all types like:
- corrugated cardboard
- newspaper or phonebooks (to opt-out of phonebook delivery click here or donate them to a local school recycling challenge)
- office paper
- junk mail
- wrapping paper
- boxboard like cereal boxes and cardboard tubes flattened
Plastic containers like:
- milk jugs
The containers must have a one, two or five on the bottom. There will be a triangle made of arrows with the number in the middle.
Containers can be crushed to save space.
Do not include the lids if they are not stamped with a correct number.
Metal and aluminum cans like:
- soup cans
- cat food cans
- metal caps
Containers can be crushed to save space.
Plastic bags can only be placed in the Mixed bin if you do the following:
Tie a knot in the clean, empty plastic bag, This way it will not blow around if it gets loose. Then put the knotted bag in another plastic bag. Keep filling this bag with other knotted bags as well as other knotted film type plastic like plastic wrap and bubble wrap. When the bag is full tie it off and place it in the Mixed bin.
Plastic bags can also be recycled by taking them to Safeway, Wal-Mart, K-Mart, KTA and vendors at farmer’s markets.
For a better explanation of what is and is not acceptable please view this video done in conjunction with Far West Fibers.
In the second bin, the Glass bin, put all types of glass containers like:
Rinse bottles clean. Labels do not have to be removed.
HI-5 redeemable beverage containers are NOT accepted. Beer bottles are redeemable so don’t put them in the glass bin.
Window glass panes, mirrors and windshields are NOT acceptable. Fluorescent bulbs and other lighting fixtures are NOT acceptable.